History of Marmaris

Marmaris, formerly known as Physkos, belonged to the Carian Empire in the 6th century B.C. The Carians originally came from Crete, settled in the province of Mugla and took over Physkos with its natural harbor. Everything was peaceful until after 300 B.C. when various powers like Egyptians, Assyrians, Ionians and Dorians successively took over Physkos. The Dorians finally colonized the Carian province.

In 138 B.C. Physkos was surrendered to Rome by King Attalo and in 1425 the city became Ottoman. It was during the Ottoman rule that Sultan Suleyman changed the name from Physkos to Marmaris. It was under his instruction that the famous castle of Marmaris was built in 1521 (alternatively, it was built in 3000 B.C. and was rebuilt by him). This castle has now been converted into a museum.